Introductory Backcountry Adventure
One Week, Ages 12+
Maximum Group Size: 12
A great backcountry adventure
for younger campers! After a day of kayaking at nearby
Note to Parents: This camp takes place in a low elevation setting, about 2km from the road. It is the perfect introduction to backcountry camping while maintaining easy access to the road in case of illness or other problems. From our lodge, our instructors can reach the backcountry site in approximatly half an hour if need be. All trips will have a minimum of one female and one male instructor. We feel this is a very safe venue for younger campers and will provide them with an unforgettable experience.
During the week you will be practicing your skills in:
· Rock Climbing and Rappelling
· Caving or Canyoneering (depending on conditions)
· Mountain hiking
Evenings will be spent
· Learning survival skills (shelter building).
· Having campfires.
· Playing Initiative games.
· Story telling, and lots more!
When you arrive at COE you will
spend the first evening getting to know your Instructors and all of the rest of
The next morning, after a big breakfast, you will head to the lake for a day of kayaking and playing in the water.
On day 2 you'll pack up your packs, tents, stoves, and food and hike into your home for the next four days! After you set up your new home, you'll cook your dinner, play some games, and enjoy a night in your tents.
Each day we get up pretty early, to get a head start. After a big breakfast you'll grab your gear for the day and head out for an adventure in the mountains with your new friends.
What to Bring· Clothing (track suit for running, running shoes, sweaters, socks (lots), shorts, T-shirts and sweat pants) Avoid jeans except for indoors.
· Warm jacket (fleece best), Warm pants (not jeans).
· Rain Jacket and Pants
· Gloves, hat and toque
· Swim wear/ water shoes
· Toiletries, towels, facecloth
· Sleeping bag (should be one that can be packed in a back pack with lots of room to spare) good to minus 10.
· Lightweight Sleeping Pad (blue foamie or thermarest) - available for loan if required.
· Day pack or back pack (We can rent you one, if you don't have one, $10 for the week)
· Most important of all is a good pair of hiking boots(best) or hiking shoes!!
· Camera and pocket money (optional)
· Sunglasses, Sunscreen
· 2 - 1L Waterbottles (Nalgene brand best)
· Make sure to properly label all of your gear.
Please avoid bringing valuables to camp. We will not be responsible for lost or stolen articles.
Do NOT Bring
The following items are not allowed at COE summer youth programs
· Cell Phones
· MP3 Players, Walkmans, etc.
· Gameboys, Nintendo's, etc.
Cost & Dates
$825.00 + taxes = $866.25
Sign Me Up!
us for a registration package OR
Mail or e-mail in forms with a
$150 deposit to hold your child's spot on the camp.
information about our programs please contact us:
Centre for Outdoor Education,
Phone: (403) 721-2208 Fax: 1-888-314-3690 E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org